Tuesday, September 13, 2011

tales from the North

well well well.....we meet again, on the field of blogging. It has been a rather long time since I have done this - so forgive me, I am a tad rusty. It has been over a year now since my trip to Tanzania - this time last year, I was wandering around France and about to head off to Finland.....sometimes I look back on that trip and wonder how on earth I actually managed it. but it was an awesome experience. I have now enterred the new awesome experience of my life - university!
ENTER DRAMATIC MUSIC
Now now, no need to be so melodramatic- currently, it is not that different to my senior years at school....IB......shudders.....
Moving on - so, I successfully manouvered myself through first semester and am currently enjoying my second semester at uni. This year has been full of surprises for me - I think karma was after me from last year - because I had such amazing luck with my travels last year, this year was time for a bit of change. At the end of last year, in a foolhardy move, I managed to (what we believed at the time) sprain my ankle...quite severely....ending with me on crutches for 9 weeks, seeing doctors and a surgeon and then extensive physio. So, i though, sweet, road to recovery......wrong! lady luck had another idea. While down for the mid year break, I decided to have it looked at again as it was still sore and stiff and just alround annoying. So after multiple scans, and once I am back at uni, I receive a call.. on a monday morning....something like this

hello is this annie?
*looks at watch, 8:30 am....do I want to be Annie at this time of morning?* Yes, it is?
jolly good. yeah, look, the doctor has seen your scans, you need surgery... can you come in on wednesday?
.....I'm in Queensland.....
...Oh
*awkward turtle moment*


so anyway, after some very quick planning, I managed to get myself down for the surgery and all was hunky dory. surgery.....such a strange word.....and the gassy stuff, knocks you right out - literally! and keeps you rather out of it after the surgery...especially when they give you morphine...... :P
So currently still on crutches and hobbling around, i will be able to start to learn to walk again in just under a month, which is very exciting for me

On another note, uni in general - awesome :D college is amazing, I have made some of the most wonderfully awesome friends here - even found my doppleganger, it is insane!!!! she is awesome and every day I am reminded how lucky I am to have so many wonderful people that comprise my college/uni family. Life is truly good!

Uni work is pretty good, and I am enjoying my subjects - especially because I only had to do chemistry in first semester...now, don't go all hatin on me, it is a very interesting subject and I am sure if....certain things were different, I would have enjoyed it and appreciated it a lot more, but as I did not to chem in highschool, and only did prepchem for a few weeks before uni, being thrown in the deep end in a subject you have only just started understanding ... well, it can suck and potentially lead to a deteste of said subject. That being said, i did enjoy knowing about how things work - just not the whole "I'm assessing you so you better do well or else" sort of ..... pressure. But i had my awesome doppleganger and a plethora of other friends to help me through.

What else....what else......we have had a cat explosion at home, have I mentioned this? well, we went from one cat to three last year, and then this year y father found another abandoned kitten. so now, we're part way to becoming the crazy old cat people with 4 cats in the house. but it is fun.

Living away from home has its perks but it also has its cons. I do miss home quite a bit, and the comforts of home, like a hug from mum, or cuddling the cats. but again, I am really enjoying the uni experience.

And considering I have uni tomorrow, I suppose I should be a responsible student and go sleep....or should I????? my sleep patterns suck right now, not going to lie :P

anywho, that is a short update from me, hopefully I will be back on my blog more often, so expect some very random ramblings in the coming months :D

cheers!
Annie

1 comment: