Wednesday, September 14, 2011

grades

What is it that drives people to excellence? What is it that drives a uni student to the brink of insanity in pursuit of those elusive grades of D and HD? Why is it so many of us need to be the best? I am one of these students, who is not happy unless the marks are phenomenal. A wise woman - my mother - told me to not put so much pressure on myself, and yet here I am, after receiving one bad mark, and feeling so down about it. And I started thinking about what it is that gets us here in the first place. So many other people I know are like me....I'm not saying it's bad, but maybe we do put too much pressure on ourselves?
But even as I make this admission (shock horror) I know I can be fairly hypocritical and while telling people that it is ok to not get amazing marks all the time, I will die a little inside when it happens. And I know I will go right back to expecting amazing marks from myself, even if I have had time off uni, or for any other reason.
So it begs the question - why? Where does this insufferable need for excellence come from? You might think I wasn't hugged enough as a child or something like that, but I was, and I was always encouraged and had a very supporting family - so where does this psycopathic need for a good mark come from???
Are we trying to show that we are the best, that we can handle anything thrown at us?
















Is it some attempt to prove ourselves to others? Or is it trying to prove ourselves - to us?
And even when we say "it's ok, there is only improving from here on, and the only place we can go from here is up.." well.....do we ever end up believing it? I am not so sure.
We'll help our friends, tell them it is ok, it is just onebad grade, but do they, and do we, even believe it in our heads? Are we to the point in our society where being the best, getting the best grades is the be-all-and-end-all of university?

Now, I am not trying to sound like some depressed bum, but today it just really got me thinking about why so many of us are like this, and desperately desire what we term the be 'the good marks'.

Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment