Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kwaheri Tanzania, Bonjour France!

Yikes. So, I know, it has been yonks since I last updated my blog but honest, I have been quite the busy bee.

Our time in Zanzibar was absolutely amazing and the bus journey down, all 8 hours of it, wasn't too bad - we were in quite a comfortable bus. We arrived in Dar es Salaam where we stayed he night and then caught the ferry across to Zanzibar at lunch the next day. We arrived in Stone Town and even from the sea it was a beautiful place, I loved the look of it. We were picked up and taken across the island to the town of Paje where we stayed at the guest house of the Arabian Nights hotel - we are also the last group to go through to Zanzibar as from now on the Camp will no longer send volunteers there, but to Tanga - yay for us, I loved Zanzibar!!

I snorkeled with dolphins on the Thursday after arriving which was ridiculously awesome - I was so close to them and I could hear them clicking and singing to one another which was a truly amazing experience to have and I wished I could have made it last longer, it was such a beautiful moment - you put our head under the water and all sound is suddenly erased, no more voices or anything, just silence - and then you are swimming above the dolphins, they swimming right past you, dancing and singing and out of the silence you can hear the distinct clicking, hear their voices. And it is mesmerizing. And as hard as you swim, they soon are beyond your reach and you watch them vanish into the water. But their voices can still be heard, if you listen really carefully

As much as I wish I could have made it last for hours, I also wish that I wasn't spending so much time being sea sick - I really need to develop my sea legs or I am going to be a terrible marine biologist :P the funniest thing was me being sick over the side, lifting my head and saying 'so totally worth it' before throwing my head back over the side of the boat. It was so worth it though. Every second.

We also got to explore Stone Town both on our own and with a guide, visiting the House of Wonders, The Palace Museum, the Old Fort and going to the night markets to try out the local catches and cooked food which was amazing and really nice. The colours and vibrancy of the market glowing in the dark is amaing as well, such an awesome atmosphere.

All too soon came the time for us to say goodbye - and let me tell you after spending 3 months living with them nd always having them around, goodbyes are a horrible thing. I hate goodbyes to be frank, worst thing ever invented. But I was always reminded hat saying goodbye to someone means saying hello to someone else.

The bus back left much to be desired in that it wasn't as nice as the bus there - but that I did not mind. I just didn't like people trying to scam us and stroking my head and the fact our driver drove like he was driving through a school zone the whole time which was quite different to the drivers we have experienced during our stay in Tanzania. In the end, it was al fine and we got back home to camp, admittedly very late at night, but to a warm welcome from Eliphas. The next day - even more goodbyes. It was like a symphony of goodbyes, horrible, really horrible.

Evenually, it was my turn to leave, and I went to my Fran and Rosa's house where I stayed until Monday morning - these friends I had met the last time I was in Tanzania and it was so amazing to caqtch up and to be able to spend some time with them I loved it. Got to see a private Zimbabwean sculpture exhibition, got to spend some quality time just chilling and got to catch up with my friends properly for the first time in 2 ears - was so wonderful to see them in the flesh again.

Sunday afternoon I went back to Tuleeni one last time. It was a sweet visit, as I left the kids sag to me and Mama Furaja gave me warm hugs and kisses. I will miss the children always, they were all so sweet. It was also a trip of revelations. Our group knew that there was one girl at the orphanage that was HIV positive and had AIDS. What i found out was that it was one of my best friends fro the orphanage, whom I had been talking to the whole time. I couldn't believe it, I felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach. It was really hard to take...

Monday morning, 3 am - more goodbyes, as I hopped in my taxi which took me to the airport. I was the first and only one there for a while, as the airport was on Tanzania ime and was therefore shut. But soon enough, more Mzungus were arriving and at 4:30 the airport was open - and I finally got the answer to my ticket mystery -

See, on the Saturday morning, Rosa's mum took me to the Precision Air office in Moshi just to confirm my place on the monday morning flight as it was a flight that was replacing my original one which was cancelled. Got to the office - oh look, no Annie on the passenger list - would you like to buy a new ticket ma'am??

After running around, calling people, getting my awesome mother to call agencies back home, it was finally confirmed that I was on the flight - hooray. It was very stressful though, 2 days from flying out and I had people telling me that I wasn't actually on the flight. Anyway, long story short, at the airport, the guy checking me in said the same thing, that he didn't have me on the list. But before I could either faint, throw a grade four hissy fit, tell him to look again, bol through to the plane or simply freak out, he said wait wait, you are confirmed on this flight - your ticket just hasn't been activated yet.

...........

ooooooooooh. gotcha.

So after a little scanning, hey presto I was on the list, and through immigration waiting in the departure lounge a 5:30 in the morning. I met some very nice people who were also on my flight to paris and whom I met up with again in Nairobi airport, where we got some food, looked around and then sat chatting waiting for our flight.

The flight from Tanznia, I must say, was very quick, and before I really knew it, I had left Tanzania - my home for 3 months and so much more - like a part of me being left behind, waiting to be picked up again when I go back someday. I was just so tired, though, being aake since 9 the previous morning, as i didn't want to go to sleep and miss my cab - it all passed in such a blur, like I was having an outer body experience. Before I really knew what was happening, I was in Paris, had my passport stamped, waited ages for my bag and then was out meeting my friend Chili. I also loved the fact there were no quarantine or customs to go through, like back home - made it so much quicker.

Tanzania was such a good experience, and while I had no delusions of saving the world when I left home, part of me wishes I could save the world or do something really ubstantial and useful to a huge number of people, to really make a difference. What we did was minimal, but hopefully it has helped some people back in Tanzania. It certainly helped me.

Paris is now where I am and it is absolutely amazing, like nothing I have seen so far, I really like it. I explored La Defence today and am heading into the city centre of Paris tomorrow - even as I write this, I am looking across to the Eiffel tower - a truly magnificent view and I am sill waiting to wake up back in my bed in our tent surronded by everyone in Moshi. I am getting quite a bit of reverse culture shock as well - being on tar roads all the time, paved streets, traffic lights, traffic jams, street lights, trains, shopping centres - it is all so amazing and so different to what I have been living with for 3 months. Very different.

Don't get me wrong, I am adoring travel, it is so amazing and so much fun. But Tanzania has become such a big part of my life. Just leaving it, in the dead of night, was so weird. And it was so quiet. Like watching a movie in silence, everything happening with no sound and in some kind of stupor.

I am also suffering from a bit of homesickness. Again, don't think 'you crayz idio you are seeing the world what is there to miss?' with everyone before leaving talking about going back home and seeing their family and friends and then coming into a family situation here in Paris, and after being away 3 months - well, you do start to miss home - simple fact.

Tomorrow and beyond are looking amazing - I have a beautiful, colourful and simply stunning city to explore, I am with a great friend and her family, I feel amazed at what I have done and seen so far and I have so many more adventures ahead of me, abroad and back home. To be honest, I have no idea exactly where I am going to be visiting between now and the time I come home - but that is even more fun! I have so much more exploring to do and I am really looking forward to it. The Tanzanian adventure is now over but still a powerful and strong memory - my next adventure one has begun.

I'll keep you posted.

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment