Saturday, August 7, 2010

previously on Annie's Tanzanian adventure ...

Jambo sana!! It's been two weeks since my last post so I thought I would give you all a bit of an update

the last couple of weeks have been fairly standard, working on our Mbokomu project (the dining hall) for the time we have been back since Kidia. I managed to fall ill - again, and unfortunately it ended being long enough and serious enough for a doctors visit which led me to experience my first Tanzanian hospital - it was quite an experience, privately owned so much better off than the government hospitals, and I met a lovely girl called Anita who sat with me while I waited for the lab to send back my test results - needless to say I am fine now, all better, they didn't find anything abnormal.

yesterday (friday) was the end of last week of project, bit sad for all of us - I cannot believe how quickly it has flown by - we head off on safari to Ngorongoro and the Serengeti on monday and this time next week I will be packing for Zanzibar and then all too soon having to say goodbye to my family of 3 months - it's really depressing to be honest and I am not ready to leave Africa for a second time just yet. But I am very excited for the next phase of this year's adventure, which is Europe - and I am looking forward to catching up with some of my friends in the UK.

Today was really good fun as we had paid for some of the children from the orphanage (Tuleeni Children's home) to come to our camp and then go to the local radio station - Moshi FM - and be on a program. We got to sit in there with them and ended up being on it ourselves, introducing ourselves and saying something about the orphanage, which was heaps of fun and the listened and didn't understand a thing as they all talked in swahili. But the smiles on their faces and the laughs were enough to let us know they really enjoyed the morning :)

I met a really nice girl at the Tuleeni last visit, her name is Liliani and we sat for quite some time, talking and learning about each other's past. She is a lovely girl who has defnitely seen some heartache in her time. but she has such a beautiful spirit. Another girl who has HIV hides away from us as she doesn't feel she has the right to talk to us - it is really sad, just want to find her and give her a big hug.

That's about it for me for now, will let you all know how safari and beyond goes!

Amani na Upendo

Annie

1 comment:

  1. Hey Annie

    What would your trip be without a visit to the hospital - all part of the experience, I guess? Glad to hear it was nothing too serious - just a pain having sickness interrupting what you are doing.

    I imagine you will love safari again. This year's SPGS group look to have had a great safari experience.

    Great to hear that Annie P. was heard on Moshi radio too!! But then you communicate so well across so many different mediums - and even better, face to face! (Just ask Liliani!)

    Kwa heri ! LW.

    ReplyDelete