Tuesday, May 11, 2010

...Why do you have a gazebo on your roof?





Now, I like to think that, even in my short 18 years, I have seen a fair few - interesting things. But today, I got to add to the list - ever seen an 18 year old and her grandfather try to pull a 3x3 metre gazebo down from a roof?? Yup, I thought you'd say no, hence the inclusion of pictures.

But yes, I was minding my own business, innocently cleaning through the bomb site that is my room when I realised the wind was picking up and gaining substantial momentum and remembering that the gazebo we had set up for lunch the other day had no weights on it, I made haste to get outside to pull it down before something crazy could happen.

Too late - I got to the door just as the gazebo quite literally took off, being lifted up and over the house. My stream of consciousness and actions in the next few minutes went a bit like this:

"huh - well there's something you don't see every day...would make an awesome kite...haha, that magpie just got wiped out!...wait, it's going over the roof...there's a road on the other side of our house....**#&$*#%@ -takes off running around the front of the house-...oh phew, it's caught on the roof, that was lucky!...wait...no, I can't reach it...do we have a ladder?...maybe if I make a lasso and get it round one of the legs and yank...epic fail...great, now what?...picks up phone and starts calling around to people in the area. Heya Cassie, you doing anything? I am currently at work, what's up? Oh, nothing, I was just wondering if you wanted to help me lasso a gazebo off my roof, but you're busy. Oh, that sounds...fun...Yeah, talk with you later, thanks anyway. Hangs up. Rings Pa. Hey pa, are you doing anything? Not at the moment, why? I am in a bit of a pickle; I have a gazebo on my roof. Could you give me a hand? Laughs, sure, I'll be right over...it really would make the most awesome kite...and to think, most granddaughters call asking their grandparents for help with a backed up loo...I call asking for help getting a gazebo of my roof....life is never dull...I smell something burning...aw man, there goes my lunch...maaaan..."

So, really, I guess the lesson from today's...uh...experience, is that you really should put weights on your gazebos people and make sure that in extreme wind, you get a kite that isn't liable to pull you away to some far away place like in Up.

Another random insight into my life :D

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment