Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Oops

Ok, so I have been absolutely horrible and not blogged for quite some time - in my defense....ok, I have nothing. Sorry!!

I am home now, back down under, which is really lovely to be home again!

My finals days in South America were wonderful and hard. I finished the mural before leaving South America, so that is still there, and it is kind of exciting to think that I got to leave that behind. Then all too soon, we were leaving. I won't lie, I cried as we walked across the tarmac to our waiting plane. The thought of leaving was hard, but not as hard as the actual leaving. We arrived back in Quito to cold and wet weather, but it was lovely to be back with my host family. The next day was my 21st, and I was surprised with a lovely lunch with some friends and a lovely cake at that evening's farewell dinner. After the dinner, we all returned to the hotel in Quito where we hung out until the wee hours of the morning, when, at 3:30am, the first bus to take people to the airport arrived. My gosh, I had never wanted to go through the devestating goodbyes I had to have in Tanzania again, but this was just as difficult. Having to say goodbye to these lovely people after such a long time together. I was very drained, emotionally and physically. I went home after that, to get a little shut eye and grab my joggers before heading back to the hotel, as some of my friends had told me that I was theirs at 9am that morning, and that I needed joggers. When I arrived back at the hotel, I discovered that they had very sweetly organised a surprise for my birthday, with a trip up to the top of Pichincha mountain. However, the weather was not cooperating with us, and the rain and fog had closed in, meaning we would have seen nothing from the top. So instead, we headed out to the markets and to grab some lunch. That afternoon, the rain really set in, so we retreated back to the hotel, where we had set up our GAIAS refugee camp. The hotel very kindly had allowed us the 6th floor, as people who were leaving on the 8pm bus would need showers etc, and somewhere to stay during the day. So we all bundled ourselves up, chatted, flicked on a movie and got some pizza. It was great!! And then all too soon, time for the next bus load of people to leave. So another devestating farewell as we got on the bus with them and were dropped off in Cumbaya.

My last few days were spent in the company of the remaining few GAIAS members, and we had some lovely moments. And then all too soon, I was off. At the airport, which let me tell you was an experience and a half! I never realised it would be so difficult leaving South America O.o. I had troubles with my bag, a police interrogation (mind you everything up until England was done in Spanish) which ended with the question as to whether I was a natural read head, and then a random full bag check for drugs which led to my being taken out of the airport and down into its bowels, where armed guards with dogs were waiting with my bags. Needless to say, I couldn't believe it, and I hadn't even gotten on the plane!! I eventually made it to Bogota, and then from there to Madrid, where I only just made my connecting flight! And lost my scarf :( And then finally coming into land in England, where my mother was awaiting me!!!

And so began Annie and Louise's epic UK adventure (with a small pop over to Paris). But more on that a little later. Or maybe not, I dunno, maybe I will never end up getting it fully written up, except to say that it was the most amazing time! I absolutely loved travelling with my mother, she is amazing and we just had the best time! And we got to catch up with family and friends and it was just truly wonderful, a blessed experience!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment