Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lots to tell...

Hello!! I know many of you have been asking when my next post would appear, and here it is!! My apologies for the lateness of this post. So, where I last left off was during our 3rd subject. We finished that and then it was lecture recess!!! Yay! I had organised to head over to Isla Isabela, and left on the Monday, spending the weekend chilling on San Cristobal. The Island hopping kids had left on Saturday, as had the group heading to Santa Cruz for the week. So Monday morning, Taylah, Sarah and I were at the dock by 7 am, having our bags checked and then hopping onto our boat. It took two hours for us to get to Santa Cruz. We arrived in Puerto Ayora and had a few hours to kill there, so wandered around a bit, grabbed a bite to eat, as well as bought our tickets for the next stage of our trip. At 2pm we were back at the docks and on a boat to Isabela! It was another two hour ride to get there. When we arrived in Puerto Villamil, I was ecstatic, it looked so beautiful! The only downside was that I was not going to be able to snorkel here, as I had gotten an ear inflammation and been advised to stay out of the water while I took my drops. Bit of a bummer, but there was lots to do on the mainland. A basic run down of my week went like this:

Monday - travelled to Isabela, organised accommodation, met awesome people living at our hotel, had an exceptionally late night hanging out with said awesome people
Tuesday - slept in after exceptionally late night. Chilled out in the hammocks at the hotel until after lunch, then went out to a great snorkelling spot, where I hung out on the shore and chatted with some lovely travellers
Wednesday - slept in, went out to the wall of tears (Wall of Tears is the wall that was built by the prisoners brought out to Isabela. Their guards believed that by building the wall, the prisoners would be well contained. But the prisoners rioted as they were treated harshly and starved. After a great deal of death, the remaining prisoners fled. It was said that at the wall of tears, the strong cried and the weak died), walked along the beach, saw awesome things!!!
Thursday - hiked up Sierra Negra, the largest active caldera in the Southern Hemisphere and walked along out to Volcan Chico, all the while comparing it to walking through Mordor - lots of lava rock! I also woke up that morning to discover that there was blood on my pillow. Using my fantastic skills of deduction, I realised it must have come from my ear, as when my nose bleeds, it really bleeds, and there was no trail on my face. And it was highly unlikely I bled from my eyes or mouth and had no cuts or anything on my face. Conclusion, ear. Second conclusion, that's not that good! Anyway, had an awesome night chilling out with all the island hopping students who were also on Isabela
Friday - had an amazing morning sitting in a hammock (quite literally all morning) talking with my mother and sketching. Then went horse riding for two hours in the afternoon! Best day!
Saturday - travelled back to San Cristobal

So that was my week off, and here are a few happy snaps from my awesome week in Isabela:

 





















So after a wonderful week in Isabela, I returned to San Cristobal to begin my next subject. We are currently 2 weeks into it, and only have one week left. It has been a very enjoyable subject, and I have even been given the opportunity to co-author a paper with my professor, so it is exceptionally exciting. My ear inflammation also turned into a full blown ear infection, so once again, back on tablets and put onto antibiotics to try and clear it up, and told to remain out of the water. it's cruel, asking a marine biologist to stay out of the water. Seriously!

I also had the opportunity to volunteer with the local vet clinic that was set up for 4 days, to de-sex the animals in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, and the town in the highlands El Progreso. I had an fantastic time volunteering for them, and it was exhausting at times, but was incredible fun and an amazing learning experience. I was taught so much! I even was allowed to assist with surgeries. In the end, 102 animals were de-sexed free of charge for the locals. It was an amazing thing to be a part of! I also really loved scrubbing up and being able to wear a mask - made me feel all official :P I was really funny, as the head vet has a microchip in his arm, and offered one to all of us that volunteered. We all declined because, well, have you seen the size of those needles? But one of our friends decided to do it! It was hilarious, we all gathered round and people were photographing and videoing. It was quite the event and a brilliant way to end our volunteering there.




Well, that is pretty much all from me for the time being, hope you enjoyed the update and I do apologise for how late it was. We are off to Santa Cruz on Monday to spend a week there for class. And also, I received the all clear from the doctor yesterday, my ear infection is gone and I am good to go in the water again! Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment